Home > Android, Basic4Android, Coding, Games development, Games Programming, LibGDX, Programming > Mid April update on Android conversion of Grenade!

Mid April update on Android conversion of Grenade!

Okay, time for a quick update on the early work on this PC to Android conversion.

I’ve written a task list as shown below to follow in order to convert my game. I’ve tried to make each task achievable in a small amount of time, anything from 30 minutes to a few hours. I’ll generally try to work down the list until the game is complete. The list will change over time and I’ll update it here when it does.

convert all graphics to png or left as jpg – done
add transparency to all graphics – done
check all sounds are mp3 or ogg (check online) – converted to OGG – done
redesign control system, write design doc – done
generate 500 name list – done
create all types required in b4a
test loadmission code on b4a
draw level on b4a
scroll around map on b4a
add simple movement code using screen taps
add enemy movement
add fire code
add grenade / rocket dragging
add enemy AI
add enemy bullets
add collision detection
add map collision detection
look at route finding using a* code
add prisoners
add crate pickup code
create database for storing names and soldier details

As you can see, I’ve already completed the first few items on the list. The PC game was written using Blitz Basic which didn’t support 2D transparency in sprites and needed a set colour to use to blank out as a background colour.
Here’s what I mean:

 the PC image has a white background which BlitzBasic was told to treat as totally transparent and the shadow itself is not see through.

 after updating the image using Paint.Net I remove the white background and half the transparency level of the blak image, when drawn as a texture using LibGDX this will give a much better looking shadow allowing for the grass or other ground features to show through.

The other changes to graphics have been removing graphics that won’t be required in the Android version, like custom mouse pointers, some of the animated menu items and also converting everything from BMP to PNG format.

The theme tune has been converted from MOD format to MP3 using a free online tool I found on Google.

Regarding the control design, the PC version required you to hold down G then click to throw a Grenade, R to fire a rocket, or T to call in an airstrike. Obviously I can’t do this for the Android version, so I’m going to copy the methods used by the game Tiny Troopers, and use the method of having a grenade icon which you can press then drag to the target to fire a grenade or rocket.
for airstrikes I’m toying with the idea of using a minimap to call in a strike, as done in Call of Duty on PC, if this doesn’t work then I’ll use the same drag method.

One feature I love in Cannon Fodder is that every soldier has a different name, my PC game didn’t have this but I’m going to add it to this game, I’ve used an online name generator to make a list of 500 unique names, I use Excel to remove any duplicates. When Cannon fodder was made, the first soldiers on the list were named after the developers, so let me know if you want to be on the list! When each soldier dies, he’ll be given a grave in a graveyard and the player will be able to press any of these graves to see who it is and how they died. I’ll use a SQL database for storing this.

I’ll leave it there for now, I’ll do another update when I’ve completed some more points, feel free to comment and like this post if you want me to continue.

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: