I’ve completed most of the level loading code for Grenade now, so the Android version can use the PC versions level files, the below screenshot shows the current state. Nearly all objects are loaded from the map and are displayed. I might change the scale of the soldiers as they look a bit small compared to the level and still need to load in other level details like objectives and the collision map (to stop soldiers walking over rivers and through buildings)
All the graphics will get improved for the final version before release, the trees need better texturing, the rocket packs are too big, the rivers need to be darker with animated water, the bushes need to be cut down a bit (pruned) and given more variety and the grass texture could do with some variation too. I’ll also improve the look of the buildings, although that’s not in shot right now.
After I finish the map loading, I’ll start working on the interface, there’s going to be a button for grenades, one for rockets, and one for air strikes, then a minimap button and a menu key to pause or abort. The solders will also need healthbars, which I’ll put in a side bar box.
I’ve also decided to reduce the soldiers to two per mission, it will improve performance a little and should make route finding much easier, it’s also easier to manage for the player on smaller phone screens.
This morning I’ve managed to load the first part of a level file from the PC version of Grenade into the Android version. this did have it’s issues as it turns out Blitz3D stores data to files a little differently to B4A, but with some help from the official B4A forum )and the guy who wrote B4A), I’ve managed to fix it and have produced a screenshot below showing the correct positions for all the trees on the first level of the game. the next worklog should show a full level layout running on Android:
I’ve finally uploaded a video of me playing Grenade! This is the original PC version I wrote in 2002
Good news everyone! (insert Prof Farnsworth voice here), I have recovered the source code for a game I started writing 15 years ago!
The game was called Grenade! and it was a Cannon Fodder clone. It got as far as being signed with a small game publisher, but never got released. Since then I lost the source code and thought I’d never see it again.
Recently, I got in touch with someone who was involved with the company, and it turns out he still have access to the old FTP archive from back then. He took a look for me and recovered my old game! I got it the other day and have already started going through it to prepare it for an Android version.
So far I’ve got as far as converting all the graphics files to PNG format, adding transparent backgrounds and a transparent level to shadow graphics.
I’ve also converted all the sound effects from WAV to OGG and the music form MOD to MP3.
I’ve written up a design document as the control scheme on PC won’t work for phones and tablets. Luckily there is a mobile game called Tiny Troopers that is very similar to mine which I can base my controls on. Should be pretty easy to implement.
Here’s some old PC screenshots:
I will post screenshots on here as I work on the game and hope to upload early test versions in a few weeks.